Cross Hypervisor DR
Cross hypervisor disaster recovery provides an ability to migrate the VMs from one hypervisor to another (ESXi to AHV or AHV to ESXi) by using the protection domains. To perform these operations, you need to install and configure NGT on all the VMs.
- This can only be done on Nutanix Hardware (ESX and AHV)
- If you have static IP addresses configured, you need to manually change the IP address after recovering the VMs
- Only VMs with flat files are supported
- Only IDE and SCSI disks are supported
- VMs running SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) operating system are not supported
- Ensure that both the sites are running AOS 4.6 or later
- Virtual machines with volume groups or shared virtual disks are not supported
Recover/Convert the machine on the remote site.
See Protection Domain setup in a later blog post.
- Install and configure NGT on all VMs that will be migrated
- Create a protection domain and protect the VMs that you want to migrate
- Configure the remote site
- Migrate or take the snapshot of the protection domain and replicate it to the remote site
- Recover the VMs to the remote site
- If you start the Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2 VMs after migrating, a prompt that asks for restart is displayed. You need to restart the VMs to install all the required drivers
- Do not uninstall Nutanix VM mobility drivers on the VMs post migration
You should now have VM converted from ESX to AHV.